Tuesday, August 4, 2009

homemade salsa

homemade salsa

I love fresh salsa. I'll buy it if I have to, but never NEVER the kind that you find unrefrigerated, sitting in a jar, all dark red colored and tomat0 saucey tasting. Ew. That stuff isn't REAL salsa.

My college roommate, Joe, used to make huge quantities of homemade salsa, and we would devour it all before it could even be put away in the fridge for later. He lives in South Korea now and when he came to visit a few months ago, one of the first things on his agenda was to make this salsa! (He had a hard time getting the ingredients over there)

So here's how to make the best salsa at home... and for cheap! If you have any of the ingredients in your garden - even better!!! I had an onion and some jalapenos for mine.

fresh from the garden

Joe's Homemade Salsa

1 14 oz can Italian style stewed tomatoes (yes, I actually prefer canned over fresh. It gives it better flavor), drained (retain just a little liquid) and chopped
1/4 cup sweet onion, minced
1-2 jalapenos (depending on how hot they are and how hot you like your salsa)
a handful of fresh cilantro, chopped

Combine all the ingredients, and serve with tortilla chips or serve with your favorite burritos, tacos, quesadillas, eggs, salads... anything!

This recipe makes enough to fit perfectly in an empty salsa container from the store.

salsa

You might want to make a double or triple batch, because this stuff disappears fast!

2 comments:

Kristina Strain said...

Ooo, I love homemade salsa. So far this summer I've done peach salsa, tomato peach salsa, and tonight I'm trying tomato salsa with corn and beans. I can mine, but somehow it manages to taste just as fresh and delicious as the refridgeration-necessary salsa you buy at the store. Sans canning, I'm sure it would be excellent, too!

Kristina
Sweetfern Handmade

Bacso said...

I don't believe you shared Joe's recipe! I felt like it was the best-kept salsa secret ever, but I suppose salsa this good shouldn't be hoarded. Enjoy, world. Enjoy. :-)