Thursday, October 9, 2008

The $10 Dinner Challenge: Chicken Noodle Soup

I don't have money invested in the stock market, and I'm not getting ready to retire anytime in the next 30 years, but I think we all agree that the past few days on Wall Street have been a little scary to watch.

But, while I don't have control over the big picture, I can still make a healthy meal for my family on a small budget and keep a few dollars in the bank. So, I'm taking on Stefania's $10 Dinner Challenge. But, I really didn't want to sacrifice quality. I try to shop at sustainable and responsible stores, and I didn't want to make an exception for the challenge. So, I priced all these items out at New Seasons, the local natural foods stores we have here in Portland, Oregon.

So here it is: Natural and Mostly Organic Chicken Noodle Soup for under $10

2 quarts chicken broth (Natural, Free-Range Pacific Foods) - $2.50
2 onions (organic yellow) - $1.90
2 carrots (organic) - $0.65
2 celery ribs (organic) - $0.40
1 Bay Leaf (I couldn't find a price, but in bulk, the cost should be teeny) let's say $0.05
2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley (fresh from my garden) - free!
4 oz pasta (bulk elbow macaroni) - $0.25
1 chicken breast, poached (free-range, no hormones) - $3.00

1. In a soup pot of large saucepan over medium heat, combine the broth with the onions, carrots, and celery. Add the bay leaf and bring to a boil. Simmer until the vegetables are tender, 15 minutes.

2. Finely chop the cooked chicken. Add to the pot along with the parsley.

3. Meanwhile, cook the noodles according to package directions. Add noodles to each serving. Remove the bay leaf before serving.

Makes 6 to 8 servings.
------------------------------------------

Total Spent: $8.75
I even have enough left to buy a loaf of french bread from the deli! (Though not at New Seasons prices. Probably at Fred Meyer's.) And, technically, since this recipe serves 6 to 8, I would have been granted a budget of $15.00 and could probably go ahead and get a loaf at New Seasons anyway.

I wish I had taken a picture of our dinner when I made this meal the other night, though a picture wouldn't have told you how simple this was to make and how absolutely delicious it was.
Plus, it was warm, my toddler loved it, and it nursed our colds.

Gosh, who needs financial analysts when this Chicken Noodle Soup can solve all your problems?
Enjoy!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

This is a great challenge. I'll have to go check out some of the other recipes as well. Thanks!