Friday, December 12, 2008

clarifying me

One of the responsibilities that comes with blogging, in my opinion, is to clarify what I may have mis-communicated the first time around. I feel like I need to say something about my post from a couple of days ago.

I really love blogging, and I really love this means of sharing my life with both loved ones and other great people whom I've never met. It's something I've wanted to do for years, and its nice to be living my dream. But, I'm definitely still figuring it out.

I want anyone who wants to read my blog to feel welcome here. I try to both make it an appealing place and I also try to keep it real. The thing is difficult for me is that my audience here is and always will be mostly anonymous. (For that reason, I try not to share too many personal details about me in my concrete life, but I do like to share about who I am as a spiritual and creative person.)

In "real life" we generally communicate one-on-one, or in small groups. Because everyone has their own personality and listening style and interests, and perhaps because I am also somewhat of a people pleaser, I tend to sculpt conversations around what I think may interest a friend while we have lunch together or what a group of family members might think is intriguing around the dinner table. We all do this based on our personal relationships and cultural context to the individuals we are communicating with. But when I blog, I have no idea who my audience is, so I feel somewhat in the dark about how to present who I am and in what context.

This is simply the nature of blogging, and I know it's not going to change. I'm just trying to find my way around in the dark here and figure out who I am in this world. And you're welcome to follow me on my journey, too! Thanks for hearing me out.

3 comments:

Cheryle said...

I like this post. It is hard to figure it out, but I'm proud to be one of your "followers." And I'm not going to quit!

xoxo

Joelle said...

dear friend. i understand what you mean about almost being "naked" or even vulnerable having your own blog. know that when i visit your blog it is because i love what you have to say because it is beautiful, well thought, enriching, inspiring and honest-and this defines you. i come to it with no expectations or judgement, i visit it with love and openness. and to find inspiration for my life, my own journey as an individual and new mother.

loving you, dear one.

Anonymous said...

I think I can echo your post and comments. Blogging is a very weird thing and I'm not sure anyone really has a handle on what it is "suppossed to be". Okay, maybe some of those who have been doing it for years....
For me anyway it's a place to put thoughts and ideas and document everyday things that most of the time get lost in the shuffle of life. And I've "met" some of the most wonderful people blogging - including you. I think it's just a space to make your own and connect with people (family, friends, new friends).
I've been blogging for a year and still feel like I have no idea what I'm doing, but it feels necessary and so I keep going. Love your space, your words, and your photos!