Tuesday, March 15, 2011

About The 31 Project

I'm a little late on this post, but still excited to talk about how fun this project was for me!

From the perspective of someone who had a desk job for 6 years doing something I found boring, and taking care of two small children during the non-working hours, just getting out into the world is sometimes more eye-opening than I'd really like to admit. I get really excited... look at all the people out here... and they're DOING stuff!!!

So silly. So true.

It was great to take it to the next level and talk to them. Make them real. Connect.

We've been trained from early childhood that we shouldn't talk to strangers. They are scary and they might do something bad to us. This project helped me see past that and stop being afraid of the people I share this city with.





Each person I approached initially had that skeptical, imposed-on look, but quickly softened when I told them it was my birthday and asked them for some good advice. Those that were not in a hurry to be somewhere ended up talking to me for a while after they'd answered my question. People love to talk about themselves and the things they've learned about life. I feel privileged to have heard what they had to say.

1 comment:

Cheryle said...

I think it's great that you're moving out of your comfort zone a bit. It's kinda scary, I'm sure, but it is an excellent way to broaden your view of the world.

Thanks so much for sharing your adventures with the rest of us!